Friday, October 21, 2011

Trip to Massachusetts

I've heard many times that New England is beautiful in the fall. With Samuel only two months old we grabbed the bull by the horns and decided to travel. The flight from here to Boston wasn't bad at all. We met Keith's parents there and we headed North to Gloucester. I learned that many years ago, Italian, Portugese and Brazilian families came here and since then they are still the predominant population. Everything reminded me of Sicily- the ocean, the restaurants, the story behind the fisherman. I also didn't know that the movie " The perfect Storm' was filmed there. 






 View from the B&B















 The next day we went to Salem. I wasn't a big fan, since I've never really liked Halloween that much. Not a big deal from where I come from....


 It is a nice city though, just maybe too many tourists for me at that time. I did  enjoy some good kettle corn and some chocolate treats from the candy factory.



















 This is inside our B&B, an old house with lots of character. That little sun room was so cozy....














 ...all the names of the fishermen that died in the storm...











 The day after we drove up north west to Shelbourne Falls, the place where Robert grew up.


 View from the French Bridge...


 ...and here is the view at 7 am from our B&B- an old farmhouse. My favorite part was the sugarcane house- where they make the maple sirup. By the way, I've also learned that the REAL maple syrup (made he Mas.) is VERY expensive , but so well worth it. The B&B served it for breakfast every morning on pancakes.















Yankee Candle Factory- so much fun spending time in there and smelling all the candles. I thought Keith would get bored, but he and I had a blast decided on which flavors are the best....


































 ...still inside the Yankee candle store...











 This is up the mountain at the cabin that Robert's sister and brother in-law made.....Not bad to be a handyman!











 With my boys......Sofie was sleeping: )


 ....back at the farm house





 This is the Bridge of Flowers, one of the city's main point of attraction.
















































...another place that we visited. 
















 Here's Karen- Robert's sister with a butterfly. They were flying everywhere, too bad Sofia was scared.....Oh well, mommy enjoyed  taking some pics of them; )


 Pam with Robert's sisters











 On the way back to Shelbourne Falls, we took the scenic route, and we stopped a couple of times for some pictures. Robert said that the colors were still not that vibrant. Better than in TN, I would say...






This one is taken from the car while driving, but just to see some of the colors.....


Last stop at the apple orchard. Mackintosh apples are not too sweet and crisp. We made some apple sauce and boy, was that good!!






































Challenging moment: trying to take a pic holding both of them: ) At least one was not crying ; )

Well, to all those people who told us we're crazy (or brave) to travel with an infant- we did and it was a LOTS OF FUN!!!! Can't wait to the next one; )

Hasta la vista for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment